Scale in the Iron Empires
The graphic novel I’m working on is centered on space travel, strategy and tactics in the Iron Empires. As a result, scale becomes an issue. From my notebook:
- 1,000 parsecs is 1 kpc (kiloparsec).
- one parsec is approximately 3.262 light years.
- (9.4×1012 km)
- 9,460,730,472,581 km
- 63,240 astronomical units
- 0.3 parsecs
Distortus Vicis (DV)
- roughly two light years
- 1.9×1013 km
Astronomical Unit (au)
- The currently accepted value of the AU is 149 ,597 ,871 Kilometers (about 150 million)
- (1.5×108 km)
Sublumina Hora (SH)
- 75,000,000 km
- roughly half an astronomical unit
- HEx shuts down at ~5 particles/cm3.
- Sublight Drives shut down at ~25 particles/cm3
– Q-beam fire grows increasingly inaccurate (but more powerful) as the target point approaches 25 ppc. It shuts down altogether at ~30 ppc.
- Interstellar Medium (ISM) = average of 1 particle per cm3
- Zodiacal Cloud (out to 5 au from the sun) = Varies by system and closeness to the sun.
- Molecular Clouds (a variety: Giant, Small, Dwarf and High Latitude) =
- High Latitude (“above and below” the galactic disk) = 30 particles per cm3
Iron Empires Geography
- Dimensions of the Iron Empires, c. 587 HE = 4000 ly (n/w) x 3200 ly (e/w)
- The Iron Empires’ most distant frontier (from Earth) = 1600 ly (North)
- Area of the Darikahn Empire = roughly 2000 ly (not counting x/y axis)
- The Human Federation’s most distant frontier (from Earth) = 10,000 ly (North), 18,000 ly (to the easternmost sectors in Veil Prefecture)
- Diameter of the milky way = 100,000 ly
- Thickness (Outside the core) = roughly 1000 ly
- Earth to the Galactic Core = 26,000 ly
- Orion Arm = arm containing Earth
- Perseus Arm = arm 6,400 ly to galactic south of Earth
- Sagittarius Arm = arm 7-8,000 ly to galactic north of Earth
Stellar Neighborhood: Including the sun, there are currently 66 stars comprising 50 systems known to lie within 16 ly (8DV) of Earth.
- Proxima Centauri = 4.2 ly (2.1 DV) away from Earth.
Nebulae (distance from earth)
- Lagoon Nebula (4100 ly) – this is 2500 ly north of the Urfan border
- Trifid Nebula (5400 ly)
- Eagle Nebula (7000 ly)
- Eta Carina Nebula (~8000 ly)
- Orion Nebula (1500 ly) – this is 1100 ly inside Vaylen space
- Rosette Nebula (5200 ly)